Recognized as one of the most significant buildings in America, Trinity Church took shape on marshland in Boston’s Back Bay in the 1870’s. The Great Boston Fire of 1872 destroyed much of the downtown area. Phillips Brooks’ Gothic-style Trinity Church was one of the many destroyed buildings.
The congregation bought a parcel of land in the then still developing Back Bay. Henry Hobson Richardson won the competition to design and build the new church. Construction began in April, 1873. Richardson brought in John LaFarge to do the interior decoration. The new building was consecrated in February, 1877.
Trinity Church | 206 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA 02116